Last year, I rounded up some of the best free e-books for writers. That list deserves an update, so once again, here are the most valuable e-books and downloads that I recommend for all writers. If you know of others I should include, please leave a comment!
- Write Good or Die, a compilation of tips by Scott Nicholson, from bestselling authors such as MJ Rose, JA Konrath, Jonathan Mayberry, and more. Available in most formats via Smashwords, and also for Kindle.
- Time Management for Creative People by Mark McGuinness. Ten very specific strategies and tactics! Available as a PDF.
- How to Write a Great Query Letter by literary agent Noah Lukeman. Available for Kindle or as a PDF.
Marketing & Business
- Smashwords Book Marketing Guide by Mark Coker. More than 30 actionable tips to help spread the word about your e-book. Available in most formats via Smashwords, and also for Kindle.
- 279 Days to Overnight Success by Chris Guillebeau. An oldie, but goodie. While not targeted specifically toward writers, it helps you understand how to think more like an entrepreneur. Helpful for indie authors. Available as a PDF.
- Authority Rules: The 10 Rock Solid Elements of Effective Online Marketing by Brian Clark [via Authority Rules]. This isn’t publicly offered as a PDF download these days, but you can still get the PDF by clicking here.
- Book: A Futurist’s Manifesto edited by Hugh McGuire and Brian O’Leary. Read the thought leaders on writing and publishing in a digital age. Available online only.
Latest posts by Jane Friedman (see all)
- How to Quickly Create an EPUB File From Word (And Then Edit It) - December 19, 2014
- Requesting Permissions + Sample Permissions Letter - December 17, 2014
- Updated & Expanded: How to Get Your Book Published - December 16, 2014
- My Favorite Digital Tools in 2014 - December 15, 2014
- Do You Have What It Takes to Be a Successful Author? - December 9, 2014