I am a professional speaker and teacher who offers thought-provoking and meaningful talks to audiences of creative professionals.
In the past year, I’ve delivered keynote talks at five events, and I frequently teach half-day, day-long, and multi-day intensive workshops related to the business of authorship and publishing.
My many years of experience means that I know how to deliver practical and comprehensive information that anticipates the needs of the audience, directly addresses their concerns, and offers both understanding and answers. I care deeply about serving creative professionals and helping them succeed in their careers.
If you’re a conference organizer:
- Click here to download a PDF describing my most popular keynote talks and workshop sessions.
- Send me an e-mail and let’s discuss what you’re looking for.
Upcoming Online Classes
How to Write a Powerful Book Proposal That Sells
July 21–Sept. 15, 2014 (8 weeks)
This is a comprehensive course on producing nonfiction book proposals in the digital age, offering hands-on critique and feedback on your work. The focus is not just on writing a book proposal that will sell the idea, but that will also sell the book when it finally makes its way to market. Click here for more info + register.
Do Your E-Book Right (July 31, 90-minute webinar): This Writer’s Digest online class offers 101 on e-book publishing, the current landscape, and how to get started. Click here for more info and to register.
- Midwest Writers Workshop (Muncie, IN), July 24–26, 2014
- International Women’s Fiction Festival (Matera, Italy), Sept. 25–28, 2014
- James River Writers Conference (Richmond, VA), Oct. 17–19, 2014
- Association of Writers & Writing Programs (Minneapolis), April 8–11, 2015
- The Muse & The Marketplace (2014 keynote)
- PubSmart (2014 keynote)
- University of Madison Writers’ Institute (2014 keynote)
- Virginia Festival of the Book (2014)
- Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators (2014)
- Frankfurt Book Fair (2013)
- MidAtlantic Book Publishers Association (2013)
- Washington Book Publishers (2013)
- University of Evansville Coffee Hour (2013)
- The Write Stuff (2013 keynote)
- Write! Canada (2013 keynote)
- LitFlow Berlin (2012)
- Whidbey MFA residency (2012)
- SEAK National Fiction Writing Conference for Physicians & Lawyers (2012)
- South by Southwest (2011)
- PubCamp @ SXSW (2011)
- Writer’s Digest Conference (2010–2012)
- Indianapolis Authors’ Fair (2011 keynote)
- Writers’ League of Texas (2011 keynote)
- Arkansas Writers Conference (2011 keynote)
- Midwest Writers Workshop (every year since 2003!)
- BookExpo America (BEA), multiple years
- Association of Writers & Writing Programs, multiple years
Prior to 2011
- PodCamp Cincinnati
- San Francisco Writers Conference
- Aspen Summer Words
- Missouri Writers Guild Conference
- Oklahoma Writers Federation Conference
- Mad Anthony Writers Conference
- Willamette Writers Conference
- Surrey Writers Conference
- Yosemite Writers Conference
- North Carolina Writers Network
- South Carolina Writers Workshop
- Harriette Austin Writers Conference
- Pennwriters Conference
- Midwest Literary Festival
- … and many more