I am a professional speaker and teacher who offers thought-provoking and meaningful talks to audiences of writers and other creative professionals.
In the past year, I’ve delivered keynote talks at 6 events, and I frequently teach half-day, day-long, and multi-day intensive workshops related to the business of authorship and publishing.
My many years of experience means that I know how to deliver practical and comprehensive information that anticipates the needs of the audience, directly addresses their concerns, and offers both understanding and answers. I care deeply about serving writers—and all those in the creative professions—and helping them succeed in their careers.
If you’re a conference organizer:
- Click here to download a PDF describing my most popular keynote talks and workshop sessions.
- Send me an e-mail and let’s discuss what you’re looking for.
Nov. 24 online class: Create Your Author Website
It’s indisputable: All authors must have their own website. It’s critical for effective marketing (online and offline), as well as long-term career growth. Even unpublished authors can benefit greatly from establishing a starter site. Why? You work through the learning curve, you build online awareness, you make contacts in the writing and media world, and more opportunities open up to you.
In this live webinar, you’ll learn the simplest, most robust, and FREE tools to get a site up and running in a day or less-often in one evening! You don’t have to know any code, understand any techincal jargon, or have previous experience with websites or blogs. You also don’t need to own your own domain or have hosting, although advice will be given on those issues.
Dec. 11 online class: E-Book Publishing 101
What are the right services for publishing your e-book? How much money does it cost to produce a good-quality e-book? What are some of the most effective e-book marketing strategies? Get answers to these questions, plus an unbiased look at the e-book publishing scene, when you should do it, and-if you do-how to be effective in your efforts, without damaging your credibility or investing more money than you should. In this live webinar, you’ll learn about the most popular services and retailers available to distribute your e-book-including outlets such as Kindle, Nook, the iBookstore, and Smashwords.
While e-book publishing doesn’t equal instant success (if you build it, they may NOT come), you’ll learn the principles behind the successful creation and distribution of an e-book.
- 2015 Digital Book World (NYC), Jan. 14–15, 2015
- Virginia Festival of the Book (Charlottesville, VA), March 22, 2015: The Basics of Independent E-Book Publishing — very limited enrollment
- Association of Writers & Writing Programs (Minneapolis), April 8–11, 2015
- Houston Writers Guild (Houston, TX), April 24–26, 2015: keynote speaker
- Pennwriters Conference (Pittsburgh), May 14–17, 2015
- Midwest Writers Workshop (Muncie, IN), July 23–25, 2015
- The Muse & The Marketplace (2014 keynote) — watch the hourlong talk
- PubSmart (2014 keynote)
- University of Madison Writers’ Institute (2014 keynote)
- Virginia Festival of the Book (2014)
- Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators (2014)
- Blurb Book Fest (2014)
- International Women’s Fiction Festival (2014)
- James River Writers Conference (2014)
- Frankfurt Book Fair (2013)
- MidAtlantic Book Publishers Association (2013)
- Washington Book Publishers (2013)
- University of Evansville Coffee Hour (2013)
- The Write Stuff (2013 keynote)
- Write! Canada (2013 keynote)
- LitFlow Berlin (2012)
- Whidbey MFA residency (2012)
- SEAK National Fiction Writing Conference for Physicians & Lawyers (2012)
- South by Southwest (2011)
- PubCamp @ SXSW (2011)
- Writer’s Digest Conference (2010–2012)
- Indianapolis Authors’ Fair (2011 keynote)
- Writers’ League of Texas (2011 keynote)
- Arkansas Writers Conference (2011 keynote)
- Midwest Writers Workshop (every year since 2003!)
- BookExpo America (BEA), multiple years
- Association of Writers & Writing Programs, multiple years
Prior to 2011
- PodCamp Cincinnati
- San Francisco Writers Conference
- Aspen Summer Words
- Missouri Writers Guild Conference
- Oklahoma Writers Federation Conference
- Mad Anthony Writers Conference
- Willamette Writers Conference
- Surrey Writers Conference
- Yosemite Writers Conference
- North Carolina Writers Network
- South Carolina Writers Workshop
- Harriette Austin Writers Conference
- Pennwriters Conference
- Midwest Literary Festival
- … and many more